Friday, October 28, 2011

Must have apps and tools on Ubuntu 11.10

               Its been a few weeks since Ubuntu 11.10 has been presented to the world and the reception has been quite mixed. I for one am liking it and this distro has so far been my most favourite ( the only distro i have not crashed so far).
       The standard install came with Unity; the worst desktop environment in my opinion and Libre Office which was not at all required by me since I love Google docs. It took me about 4 -5 hours of messing around here and there for me to finally be happy with my installation. Here are a few things that I feel every new user to Ubuntu or any other distribution needs.

1. Fuse exFat : This is one thing you should not be missing if you have an exFat partition from your old windows system. It took me many many long hours to find the drivers ( I don't know why Microsoft never wanted to release the drivers) but I finally found an easy tutorial here.
  If you still have trouble with it, just leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as possible.



2. Avidemux : Everyone who is into video encoding on the Linux platform would argue that Ffmpeg is the best video encoder around but for the migrating windows user Avidemux is the best conversion tool that you can find. You can just install it using the Ubuntu software center. Just search for avidemux and install it from the options.

3. XchatIRC : One of the most handiest tool that you will find when you need help regarding anything related to the operating system ( I learned a lot of commands by asking around from the community). The irc chatroom for ubuntu is open 24/7 and there will always be some one from somewhere to help out anyone in need. This is the ultimate support tool guys, Microsoft can never compete with Linux when it comes to help and support.

4. Vuze: If you are a fan of utorrent on windows , then Vuze is the closest that you will get to windows on Linux since utorrent doesnt really run the way it runs on windows with all the nifty features that you are so used to and other clients can't compare to Vuze at all. It has the best GUI among all the torrent clients on Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment